These web conferences are part of a series that explore CDC’s new tools and online resources for thinking about evidence. The web conferences will explore the ways in which research, contextual, and experiential evidence can be used to make evidence-based prevention decisions and support successful implementation of prevention strategies. The web conference will include information on the Continuum of Evidence of Effectiveness, Framework for Thinking about Evidence, and a new, interactive tool called Understanding Evidence.
The September 18 web conference will focus on using these tools and concepts for child maltreatment, and will feature demonstrations and discussions about linkages to sexual abuse and intimate partner violence prevention led by child maltreatment prevention practitioners. The September 19 web conference will focus on using these tools and concepts for suicide prevention, and will feature demonstrations and discussions about linkages to sexual abuse and intimate partner violence prevention led by suicide prevention practitioners.
Last June, this series examined the topics of intimate partner violence prevention and sexual violence prevention.
- Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012: Child Maltreatment
- Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012: Suicide Prevention
Host: David Lee, CALCASA, PreventConnect
Presenters: Sally Thigpen, Helen Singer and Natalie Wilkins, Division of Violence Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- SEPT 18 (Child Maltreatment Prevention): Valerie Spiva Collins, FRIENDS National Resource Center for Community-Based Child Abuse Prevention
- SEPT 19 (Suicide Prevention): Angelita Lee, Celebrating Life Project, Center for American Indian Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
|Sally Thigpen||Helen Singer||Natalie Wilkins|
|Valerie Spiva Collins||Angelita Lee|
- Evidence Project Overview, CDC [PDF]
- Understanding Evidence: Part 1 Best Available Research Evidence, CDC
- Slides – Child Maltreatment Sept 18 [PDF]
- Slides – Suicide Prevention Sept 19 [PDF]
- Recording – Sept 18 Child Maltreatment [click here for recording]
- Recording – Sept 19 Suicide Prevention [click here for recording]
- Text chat transcript – Sept. 18 Child Maltreatment [PDF]
- Text chat transcript – Sept. 19 Suicide Prevention [PDF]
- Define three types of evidence.
- Articulate an evidence-based decision-making process.
- Explain how three types of evidence are used in an evidence-based decision-making process.
What is a Web Conference?
A web conference is an opportunity to attend an online presentation by watching a slides on your computer screen (using your internet connection) and hearing the presenters through your telephone. Our web conferences feature an opportunity to participate in an online question & answer sessions and live text chat between participants. If for some reason you are unable to join on your computer, you can download the presentation slides and listen to the presentation on your telephone.
Real-Time Captioning Available