February 26, 2015
11:00am – 12:30pm PST
2:00pm – 3:30pm EST
This web conference will engage participants in a discussion of popular education as a community mobilization approach rooted in social justice. We will explore the use of popular education in statewide prevention capacity building, in addition to exploring the Texas Association Against Sexual Assault’s (TAASA) support of rape crisis centers in using the methodology themselves. The presenters will explore the benefits and challenges of using this methodology for sexual violence prevention work at both the state and local level.
Hosts and Facilitators: Ashley Maier, MSW, MPA – PreventConnect, CALCASA; Donna Greco, MSW – National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Roberto Tijerina, Trainer, Wayside Center for Popular Education
- Morgan J Curtis, LMSW, Deputy Director, Texas Association Against Sexual Assault
- Tim Love, Prevention Program Director, Texas Association Against Sexual Assault
Participants will be able to:
- a) describe the basics of popular education – principles and practice and
- b) identify ways to engage communities in sexual violence prevention, through popular education.
- Recording Click Here
- Presentation slides [PDF]
- Text chat transcript [PDF]
- Handouts: What is popular education? | Popular Education House | Hungry Person Exercise