Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2023: “Drawing Connections: Prevention Demands Equity”
This April, The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) is calling on individuals, communities, organizations and institutions to build racial equity and respect through the 2023 National Sexual Assault Awareness Campaign: Drawing Connections: Prevention Demands Equity.
The campaign offers resources, knowledge-building tools and connection opportunities to engage people at every level in the movement to end sexual violence, and build their capacity to be agents of change.
- Systems of Oppression such as racism, classism, heterosexism, ageism and abelism contribute higher sexual harassment, assault and abuse rates.
- As we work towards a future without sexual violence, we all must respond to the needs of those most impacted by systemic oppression.
- Drawing connections between various forms of oppression and the underlying causes of sexual assault – as it is crucial to making real. large-scale and lasting change.
Resources and publications
To build knowledge and skill across the movement to end sexual violence, NSVRC is releasing publications specifically for people newer to anti-oppression and its connection to sexual violence. The Prevention team will be releasing several downloadable publications throughout the month of February, aimed at drawing connections between various forms of oppression and sexual violence, including:
- A glossary of commonly used terms
- A Social justice booklet for adolescents and children
- Resources on how to build trauma-informed workplaces
- Specific resources directed toward youth
The downloadable resources are free to download and will be published on NSVRC’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) website, which will launch later this month.
How to get involved
In addition to resources and educational materials, NSVRC is hosting several opportunities for professionals and the general public to get involved with Drawing Connections: Prevention Demands Equity, including:
- #30DaysofSAAM Instagram Contest
- Social media guide and sharable graphics
- Event planning tools
- 16 weeks of #SAAMThoughts
NSVRC will be releasing details about Drawing Connections: Prevention Demands Equity as April gets closer. You can sign up for their email list to get notified when new materials are coming out.
Tune into our LiveStreams
PreventConnect will be doing two live social media events with the NSVRC Prevention Team, kicking off SAAM.
- Instagram Live: April 3 | 9 a.m. PST
- Live Podcast stream, April 5 | 9 a.m. PST