LGBTQIA+ inclusion resources for prevention practitioners: Data and Storytelling
This blog is the first in a three-part series in honor of PRIDE, to build capacity toward drawing connections between Health Equity, LGBTQIA+ Justice and gender-based violence program development and implementation.
For a downloadable version of this blog, click here.
PART 1: Data and Storytelling
Use the following collection of data to educate yourself, community members, partners and stakeholders about the connections between gender-based violence prevention and LGBTQ+ inclusion.
U.S. National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health by State | Trevor Project, 2022
- Provides insights into the suicide risk faced by LGBTQ young people, top barriers to mental health care, the prevalence of anti-LGBTQ victimization, and the negative impacts of cultural and political discourse on LGBTQ youth.
U.S. Transgender Survey, 2015 (2022 results coming soon)
- Largest survey ever devoted to the lives and experiences of transgender people, helping the public understand the lives and experiences of transgender people in the United States and the disparities that many transgender people face (including sexual and intimate partner violence.
2023 Youth Risk Behavior Survey Summary Report | Centers for Disease Control, 2023
- Provides the most recent surveillance data, as well as 10-year trends, on health behaviors and experiences among high school students in the United States (U .S .) related to adolescent health and well-being. This data includes specific information about the experiences of LGB students.
National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey : An Overview of 2010 Findings on Victimization by Sexual Orientation | Veto Violence, 2010
- Highlights the prevalence of intimate partner violence (IPV), sexual violence (SV), and stalking by sexual orientation for women and men in the United States, using 2010 NISVS data.
- Presents an overview of the issues and problems that LGBTQ victims face, describe the results of study and data collection conducted among a broad range of clients and providers, and offers initial recommendations for how to begin to respond to and prevent violence against LGBTQ+ people.
Fact Sheet on Injustice in the LGBTQ community | National Sexual Violence Resource Center, 2023
- This blog describes additional injustices and form of oppression LGBTQ+ survivors of domestic and sexual violence face, and how that impacts their healing trajectories.
Prevention and LGBTQ+ rights: opportunities for practitioners
- This blog draws on research from the Centers for Disease Control on Risk and Protective Factors, to offer recommendations to prevention practitioners to create trauma-informed environments for LGBTQ+ youth and survivors in their programs.