Registration is open so sign up now for the next PreventConnect web conference Changing the public perception about violence against women. This web conference is free.
The web conference will be held
- Tuesday, February 15, 2011; 11 AM Pacific Standard Time (2 PM Eastern)
- repeated Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11 AM Pacific Standard Time(2 PM Eastern)
Host: David Lee, PreventConnect, California Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Presenter: Karen Baker, Executive Director, National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)
Guest Speaker: Maia Christopher, Executive Director, Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (ATSA)
- Click here to listen to a recording of this session.
The public understanding of sexual violence, domestic violence and teen dating violence has shifted over time. For effective prevention messages, we need to understand the current views about these issues. This web conference will highlight the National Sexual Violence Resource Center‘s (NSVRC) work with the FrameWorks Institute to research how the general public in the United States thinks about sexual violence and its prevention. The first phase of this recently-released study is already providing some fascinating insights that have implications for our communication strategies. This web conference will explore highlights from the research that compares experts’ knowledge of sexual violence with the general public’s understanding.
Some specific areas covered include: What is sexual violence? What is the cause? Who perpetrates sexual violence and why? Who are the victims? Is sexual violence preventable? Participants will discuss implications for prevention, policy, and communications and will learn what additional information will be coming in future phases of this ground-breaking research.
- Participants will be able to name at least two important ways that the public understanding of sexual violence differs with experts’ knowledge.
- Participants will be able to describe how the common public picture of perpetrators of sexual violence is problematic for victims and for prevention efforts.
- Participants will be able to identify at least one recommended strategy for improving communication about sexual violence prevention.
What is a Web Conference?
A web conference is an opportunity to attend an online workshop by watching a presentation on your computer screen (using your internet connection) and hearing presenters through your telephone. Prevent Connect web conferences feature an opportunity to participate in online question & answer sessions and live text chat between participants. If for some reason you are unable to join on your computer, you can download the presentation slides from our website and listen on your phone.
Real-Time Captioning Available:
Instructions for accessing captioning during this web conference will be provided with your registration confirmation.