Healthy Masculinities: Mobilizing Men and Boys to Foster Positive Gender Norms
|8:00 AM – 9:30 AM
|10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
|11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
|12:00 PM – 1:30 PM
|1:00 PM – 2:30 PM
|2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Sexual and domestic violence prevention work emerged out of women’s leadership and has had a focus on addressing violence against women. And clearly, people who identify as men and boys have a role to play in the work, including in transforming the sociocultural environment to foster healthy, positive norms about masculinities, gender, and violence, and challenging harmful norms in their social networks and beyond. This web conference will explore strategies to mobilize men and boys in prevention, referencing the evidence base and on-the-ground work including Coaching Boys Into Men and other innovative community efforts. Learn from practitioners already building alliances with men and bring your ideas as we critique patriarchal norms and explore opportunities to promote healthy masculinities.
FACILITATORS: Lisa Fujie Parks and Alisha Somji, Prevention Institute
- Explore what is meant by gender norms and masculinities
- Discuss why engaging men and boys can help counter harmful aspects of gender norms that contribute to sexual and domestic violence.
- Learn from local work to engage men and boys in sexual and domestic violence prevention
- Engage in a candid discussion on challenges and considerations in promoting healthy masculinities in the context of patriarchal norms
- Kristy Trautmann, Executive Director, FISA Foundation
- Kiandra Foster, Program Manager, Southwest PA Says NO MORE , United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Jonathan Grove, Masculinities and Violence Prevention Consultant