Toward Gender Equity: Supporting healthy masculinities for sexual and domestic violence prevention
There is a need to move away from harmful associations of masculinity with dominance, control, risk-taking and even aggression toward a culture that promotes respect and safety for people of all genders. This web conference will build off of the evidence base around engaging men and boys as allies highlighting examples of communities taking action in new ways. Guests will share how they engage in authentic dialogues about gender equity, masculinities, and accountability as a way to support potential transformation of our cultural norms and prevent sexual and domestic violence. We will also discuss opportunities to move from work with small groups to bringing conversations to diverse audiences in inclusive and community-specific ways.
HOST: Ashleigh Klein-Jimenez, PreventConnect and CALCASA
FACILITATOR: Alisha Somji, Prevention Institute
- Explore how cultural, racial, and other community contexts help shape gender norms
- Describe real-world examples of practitioners and advocates engaging men and boys in different community settings to expand reach and achieve broader community impact
- Discuss how communities are moving away from one-size-fits-all approaches to contextually-specific and community-driven efforts
- David von Schlichten, board member of Blackburn Center and faculty member at Senton Hill University
- Farah Tanis, Executive Director, Black Women’s Blueprint
- Leslie Conway, Prevention Programs Director, Black Women’s Blueprint
- PowerPoint Slides [PDF]
- Guest Profile: Working towards gender equity by supporting healthy masculinities in campus and community settings
- Guest Profile: Preventing violence though gender equity and reconciliation in African American communities
- En español: Previniendo la Violencia Sexual Mediante la Equidad de Género y La Reconciliación en Las Comunidades Afro Americanas
Was this conference held on 3/28/17?
Yes, it was!