Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month 2024: Resources for the Anti-Sexual Violence Movement
For those of us working in violence prevention, February signals the start of Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month: a time for our field and communities to raise awareness about teen dating violence and center the voices of youth in our efforts to prevent it.
One in three teens report experiencing physical, sexual or emotional abuse from their romantic partner(s) and nearly half of U.S. college women report experiencing dating abuse.
During PreventConnect’s annual survey, the #1 request from prevention practitioners has consistently been more training and support around engaging youth in sexual violence prevention.
We know that our most powerful prevention strategies come from the communities we want to impact. When it comes to teen dating violence, this means dismantling agesism in our programs and agencies, both explicit and implicit, making space for youth at our decision-making tables and honoring their expertise in their experiences.
Below are several resources, events and campaigns happening across the field this February, to strengthen your efforts to center youth voices and prevent teen dating violence.
- Youth Engagement Mini-Series Part 1: An Interview with Youth Activists
- Youth Engagement Mini-Series Part 2: A Coalition’s Honest Journey to Centering Youth Voices
- Youth Engagement Mini-Series Part 3: RCC Gamechangers
- Youth Engagement Mini-Series Part 4: A Drop in the Ocean with OneLove
- Letting Youth Lead: Directions in Prevention
Web Conferences and Trainings
- Creating Protective Environments for LGBTQ+ Youth Within Schools and Communities to Prevent Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence
- National Sexual Assault Conference 2023: Researcher-Practitioner-Educator-Youth Partnerships to Prevent Sexual Violence
- National Sexual Assault Conference 2023: Intergenerational Partnerships to End Gender-Based Violence
- Holistic Approaches to Youth Wellbeing: Supporting mental health as a strategy for sexual and intimate partner violence prevention
Research and Guides
- CDC outlines opportunities for Preventionists following survey on youth violence and mental health
- CDC Youth Risk Behavior Survey Landing Page
- VALOR Car Conversations: A Guide for parents and caregivers
- VetoViolence Prevention Toolkit
Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month Campaigns and Events